Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Spas + 200°F Weather

Salt sauna. All pictures in this post are from Wi Spa's Yelp page.
It was a little nippy in LA yesterday, but I certainly didn't notice since I spent six hours in a spa, alternately sweating out toxins in saunas and boiling in jacuzzis. It was my first time in a Korean spa, and I am happy to report that it was a fun and relaxing experience.
Common area.

There are five different saunas available in the common area (called a jimjilbang), each with different properties and temperatures ranging from 40°F all the way to 235°F. At one point, I could have bathed in my own sweat... Also in the common room: TVs mounted on several walls, a row of computers, massage chairs, lots of mats to lay on, a children's playroom, and even a small restaurant you can eat at. Throughout the day, I saw people of all ages chatting, playing games, on their laptops, eating on the mats picnic-style, reading the newspaper, sleeping, or just lounging.
Bulgama, the hottest sauna.
When you're tired of the common area, you can venture into your respective gender's personal floors. Often in Asian spas, there is a no-clothes policy, so my friend and I were definitely a little uncomfortable at first. But after a few minutes of furtively covering our bits, and realizing no one cared, it was definitely liberating to soak in the jacuzzi, take a shower, or just walk around the lounge area in our birthday suits.
Women's shower rooms.

There were plenty of other services such as facials, massages, acupressure, body scrubs, etc. and other facilities such as gyms, but those do cost more. Since the only reason we went to the spa in the first place was to use our $12 Groupon, we mainly stuck to the saunas. But it was definitely worthwhile.

The spa is open for 24 hours, 365 days, and would be an ideal place to unwind with friends and family. After hitting the clubs or having a dinner party, I think it would be great to recap the night in the spa while getting clean. Plus, you have more time to sober up. I admit the place isn't as fancy as other spas, but I don't think luxury is its selling point anyway. It's more like a wholesome experience you can enjoy while being comfortable in your own skin. Wi Spa costs $25 (+10 if you stay overnight) except for their Tuesday $15 special. I believe it's cheaper at the Wilshire Spa and cheaper still at Olympic Spa.
Also, two nice ladies taught me how to fold this. It's a ram! Baa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment