Friday, December 16, 2011

2011 Pretty Presents + For the socially conscious

My last and possibly the most important gift guide. I have to admit I'm not the most socially conscious, but I'm working on it. Even while some of us are celebrating one of the most commercial holidays of the year, I hope we can still do it in a fun, festive, and giving way.
via le Love

Plant a tree in your favorite person's name with Tree People, American Forests, or International Tree Foundation. It starts at only $25.
via Pinterest

There's a site called Oxfam where you or anyone you know can buy things like books for schools, a well for a community, or even a donkey. You can go one step further by making a wishlist, and send it to all your family and friends. Instead of getting another elephant figurine to dust, you can feel great knowing that your gift-givers (and you!) are helping out. Prices start at $12.
via Pinterest

DailyCandy has a list of Gifts That Give Back.
My personal favorite from the list is this cool-looking leather keychain. Half the proceeds go to Japan Relief.
Where: Me and Arrow
Price: $16 (free shipping)
Alternatives: These scissors are also really awesome with each purchase funding 25 cups of food.

There are so many options out there. Volunteer for whatever cause you believe needs the most help! If you get a tree, make sure to take it out to be recycled. Make presents this year (and save money) or buy hand-made. When you wrap your gifts this year, feel free to get creative. I like to use Trader Joe's bags to wrap presents and old ribbons/knickknacks to decorate. This year, I'm going to try and see if I can make it without buying any wrapping paper. And I'll definitely be supporting one of these organizations.

I think it's okay to revel in presents as long as we aren't excessive about it. Of course, the definition of that word is hard to pin down, but as long as we do our best to help out and actually work on those goals every year, we should also remember to enjoy the holidays for whatever they mean to each of us.

via A Little Hut
I'll be out celebrating a friend's birthday tonight, so there won't be a customary Friday link post. Have a fantastic weekend everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment